Monday 30 July 2012

Crispy Coconut Thins

Being born and bought up in Mumbai, Coconuts and coconut trees weren't new to me. And I was fortunate enough to stay in my parents ancestoral home with a nice garden around! I still remember how I accompanied my Dad every sunday, watering and shunting the plants in our garden. I remember , my grandmom had planted a coconut tree at my birth! It grew taller ,almost double triple my speed!
I always had the priviledge of ghar ka Naariyal! Be it tender coconut water , or fresh coconuts ,whenever required! Its only after shifting out of mumbai , I realised the actual cost of a coconut in the market!
I love cooking with coconuts. Its such a versatile and "giving" fruit. Thats why its called "Shree Phal"! Not only is it used in every pooja and auspicious occassion , but also used as a part of any offering or gifts. No part of the fruit or the tree goes waste. I remember whenever the massive leaf of the tree fell down , it would be immediately picked up ,to be made into a broom. Such is the greatness of this humble fruit, that it blends well into any course or recipe ,be it sweets, curry ,or fish!
After having tried coconut in all its forms in various recipes, its time for me to blend it into baking.
Actually , I wanted to make eggless Coconut macroons, but in the process of baking , they fell flat. Neverthless , they actually turned out to be delicious! And the lovely smell of toasted coconuts when baking.... divine!!!


Ingredients:

1/2 cup Maida
1 1/4 cup Dessicated Coconut
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
3/4 cup Unsalted Butter
1/4 cup Condensed Milk
4-5 Candied Cherries for garnish.

Mix together maida,sugar and coconut in a bowl. Add butter and condensed milk and wisk ,till a smooth semi solid mixture is formed.

Preheat oven at 180 deg.C. Grease the baking tray with some butter.
Pipe small amounts of the batter 1/2 cm apart and top them with cherries.

Bake for 15 mins . The piped mix will start falling flat ,and then turns golden brown. Once the corners turn brown and start leaving the tray. Cool and cut in triangles and gently demould.
Relish the crisp and chewy thins! Store in an airtight jar!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We apppreciate your comments,suggestions and tips, so please feel free to share your views