Wednesday 5 September 2012

Bharli Vangi-Khandeshi Maratha Style

Brinjal is one of my favourite vegetable. And best thing, its available all year round!
I always keep brinjal , in whatever form I get (be it bharta ka baingan , or the small ones for stuffing) , handy at home. So whenever, I feel , I dont quiet have anything interesting to make for dinners, my Vangi's ,or brinjals come to my rescue. And with this bharli vangi ...it sure to make a fest out of regular dinner! And I usually make it for dinners, one reason being, its little heavy and spicy , and I dont want my husband to doze off at work! And I certainly want him to indulge , which he otherwise does not ,if this subji is served for lunch.
Its a very different version from that made in coastal maharashtra. Unlike that recipe , which is dry and made with onions ,coconut and peanuts ,  this one does not use onions , and is predominantly a peanut and dry coconut based gravy.
ofcourse , Kala Masala is a very important aspect for the taste , however, it can be substituted with garam masala too. And what more ?? Its easy and quick too!!


Ingredients:

2-4 Small Brinjals , cleaned and given a cross slit
1 Small Cubed Potato
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
2 tsp Kala Masala
11/2 tsp Namak Shamak
Chopped coriander for garnish

For the Ground Masala:
1/2 Cup roasted crushed Peanuts
2 tbsp roasted scraped Dry Coconut
6-8 Cloves Garlic
2 tsp Red Chilly powder
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tbsp Coriander leaves


Grind to paste all the ingredients for the masala ,using very little or no water.

Heat oil in a kadhai and add cumin seeds to splitter.
Now add the ground masala and saute it till oil seperates.

Add kala masala,salt and mix.
Add the brinjals and potatoes and mix.
Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir.

Cover and cook for 10 to 15 mins , till the brinjals are cooked. Alternatels , pressure cook them , just for 1 whistle. Do not over cook , else the brinjals shall get smashed and pulpy.
Transfer in serving bowl and garnish with coriander.
Serve hot with Bajari chi Bhakari or Bajra Roti.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We apppreciate your comments,suggestions and tips, so please feel free to share your views