Wednesday 12 September 2012

Tomatoche Saar/Tomato Saar/Spicy Tomato Soup

Uff this gloomy whether...As much as the rains cheer you ...too much of it , especially a week full of clouds , rains and devoid of any sunshine , makes you fell dull and drain you off your enthusiasm...
Sunshine gives a strange freshness, a new hope, maybe since its associated with the sunrise, a new day, a new morning....And with none of it for many days , may magive way for  depression....
Okay  i m not complaining, but too much of anything isnt good ....
So yes, I got my dose of depression, last week , when it poured and poured, and I barely got a glimpse of any sun...just the lazy hazy whether....and more...I was alone at home with my kiddo , and , suddenly I began missing my mom , terribly....Gosh whats with these mood swings and women!! I didnt call though , cause I knew I ll burst in tears, for no apparent reason , and that would get everyone worried....
So to keep myself occupied ,so that no other thoughts creep in my mind, I decided to make something I loved eating when I was young.....And I remembered the simple tomato saar, or soup that Mom made... Lovely sweet,sour and mildly spicy ....and enjoyed hot with moms instant straight from the tawa phulkas, smeared with tup or homemade ghee...and laced with lots of love!!!
And yes, my lil kiddo ,gave me a good company with the soup!! My lil Momma's Boy!


Ingredients:

3-4 Medium Tomatoes
1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2-5 Curry leaves
1 tsp Red Chilly powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 slit Green chilly
2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Namak Shamak
2-3 tsp Oil or Ghee
Chopped Coriander leaves for garnish

Wash the tomatoes and place them in pressure cooker with 1/2 cup water and steam them with 2 -3 whistles.
Once cooled,pull out the loosened skin and grind the tomatoes.

Heat oil in a vessel and add cumin and mustard seeds. once they crackle ,add curry leaves, slit green chilly  and ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 min.
Now add the tomato paste and mix.
Add red chilly powder, cumin powder , salt and sugar.
Add 1/2 cup of water and bring it to a boil.
Let the saar simmer on low flame for 1 or 2 mins.
The simmering saar!

You can add 1 tsp rice flour mixed in 2 tsp water to thicken the saar.
Transfer in serving bowl , garnished with chopped coriander.
 
 

Serve hot with hot phulkas and ghee.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We apppreciate your comments,suggestions and tips, so please feel free to share your views