Tuesday 3 July 2012

Dalimbi Usal / Pavta/Valachi Amti / Valache Birdhe

Val or Field Beans remind me of those germination lessons back at school. I still remember those sprouted beans I sowed in my garden pot and was thrilled to watch each stages , live , just as was in my science book. Eventually after the final stage when the beans fall , my little plant was eaten by those little sparrows! I tried showing many more after that , and finally I accepted defeat versus the sparrows.
But , I love dalimbi usal , not only those sprouted beans remind me of my days as a carefree schoolgirl , but it was quiet a rare occassion when the amti was made at home. One of the reasons being , the time and efforts required to soak , sprout and peel them ,considering my mom had a job , and 4 -5 members to cook for everyday. But for me , all the hard work pays off when I devour my curry with hot phulkas! And over the years , I have just prefected my Mom's recipe!

For those who are new to Val , they are dried beans , that need to be soaked in water overnite and then drained and kept covered in a warm place to sprout , preferrably for another day.

Once sprouted , they have to be peeled individually , and used for the usal.


Ingredients:

2 cups Val/Field beans , soaked , sprouted and peeled
1 large Onion chopped
1 Slit Green Chilly
1 Inch Ginger finely Chopped
2-3 Petals Kokum
2 tbsp Scraped Coconut
2 tsp Cumin Seeds
4-5 Curry Leaves
1 tbsp Jaggery
1/4 Cup Coconut Milk (optional)
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Red Chilly powder
1 tsp Garam Masala (I use my Mom's Homemade Curry masala , but garam masala or kitchen king masala also substitutes well)
1 tsp Namak Shamak
1 tbsp Oil
Chopped Coriander leaves for Garnish

Method:


Heat Oil in a kadhai and add cumin seeds and curry leaves. Once they splitter , add chopped ginger and chilly and saute for a min. Now add chopped onion and fry till translucent.
At this stage , add the Beans/Val and mix. Add turmeric, red chilly powder and garam masala and salt and mix. Add 1/2 cup water and cook with covered pan on a medium flame for 5 mins.

In the mean time, grind the scraped coconut with 1 tbsp water to a fine paste.

Add the coconut paste to the curry , along with the kokum and jaggery and mix.

Add another 1/2 cup water and cover the lid of the kadhai and cook for 10 mins , checking frequently.
Once the beans are cooked , add water if required to adjust the consistency of the curry and stir.
Add coconut milk and simmer for 1 min.

Put off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve hot with phulkas and rice.

This is our entry for









No comments:

Post a Comment

We apppreciate your comments,suggestions and tips, so please feel free to share your views